We're looking for a talented Operations Engineer to come and work on the FreeAgent app, internal services and supporting infrastructure. You'll be working alongside our Ops team squashing single points of failure, fixing bottlenecks, profiling load and solving interesting scaling and automation problems.
Our Operations team is responsible for the application in production at all levels in our stack. Being this flexible mean we've achieved near 100% uptime over the past year (99.99%) whilst performing daily code deployments, countless database migrations and, at the start of the year, a complete data-center migration with only a 9 minute period of scheduled maintenance. We're happy with this, and we're looking for people who can help us keep going!
FreeAgent is the leading UK SaaS accounting platform with over 33,000 subscribers and an impressive growth rate to match. Our ambition means we're not stuck for interesting technical challenges and our aim is to provide a friendly, creative and supportive environment in which to tackle and solve them!
- Support the smooth running and uptime of our external and internal production web-applications
- Support the path-to-production for our frequent application code and data changes
- Maintaining our disaster-recovery and data backup processes
- Conduct peer reviews of infrastructure and configuration changes
- Be actively involved in the continuous evolution of our systems and infrastructure, from small tweaks to epic changes
- Participate in our 24/7 on-call rota
What we're looking for
- Management of virtualized Unix / Linux servers - we use SmartOS and CentOS
- Configuration management and server orchestration technologies - we use Puppet and MCollective extensively
- Ruby and git. Nearly all of our code is written in Ruby and all of our code is checked into git
- Databases, specifically MySQL. We have databases with multi-million rows, and exploit master-master replication to keep our site online
- Queue Servers - RabbitMQ specifically, which is now a core part of our platform
- ElasticSearch - we use this, not only for in-app user-searching, but also to store over a years worth of log data
- Production problem solving and performance optimisation - things break or slow down and it's good to find out why
- Hands on low-level networking - we own our servers and network gear, and run dynamic routing protocols to ship traffic between logically isolated networks of virtual machines
- Good understanding of common network protocols - and someone who can find their way around an RFC
- Good communicator - we're all constantly learning and like to encourage the sharing of knowledge across our engineering team
This is a full time position. You can work from our lovely office in the West End of Edinburgh, or you can work remotely elsewhere in the UK - five of our engineering team are fully remote. We offer paid international conference visits and regular hack days. We work smarter, not harder, and we have fun doing it.
We have a flat engineering structure and we work closely with all the other internal teams. Our company culture is very transparent and we believe in working collaboratively to solve problems across the business.
How to apply
If you're interested, write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your CV and/or Github and tell us how you can help!
How to Apply
Send your CV, and covering letter to email@example.com and tell us why you want to work at FreeAgent.
You’ll help shape what we work on and how we do it. You won’t be micro-managed or stuck in a rut. Creativity and heart are rewarded.
We work hard on challenging problems but have a good time doing it. You’ll join a team of smart, friendly people who dig that work/life balance.
Our app is loved by thousands of people worldwide, and we’re making a real difference to the way businesses manage their finances.
We pay well and you’ll have the best kit, flexible hours, 33 days annual leave, pension scheme and more.