Jump to comments

Forming a limited company? From 30th June you’ll need to give Companies House this extra information

Emily Coltman

Chief Accountant

If you’re planning on setting up a new limited company, from today you’ll need to provide Companies House with some additional information when you apply to incorporate your company. Here’s what you need to know:

You must provide details of the company’s PSCs

From 30th June onwards, companies will be required to to keep details of persons with significant control (PSCs) and make the information publicly available. A PSC is a person who has the right to exert significant influence, or control, over the business and management of a limited company.

Company directors must provide the following information when applying to incorporate the company:

  • Assuming there is at least one PSC, the directors must disclose who the person is, stating their name, service address (where documents relating to their involvement with the company would be delivered), date of birth, and residential address. The last two pieces of information don’t go on the public record as they could put the PSC’s identity at risk of theft, but the first two items will be publicly available.
  • The directors must disclose how each PSC has control, whether that is by:

    • ownership of shares
    • ownership of voting rights
    • the right to appoint or remove a majority of the directors
    • another right to exercise, or the actual exercise, of significant influence or control

Any of these methods of control may be exercised by an individual who is either operating in their own right, or acting as a representative of a firm or trust that they control, but which is not in itself a legal entity. If the firm or trust is a legal entity, such as a limited company, it would be classed as an Relevant Legal Entity (RLE) rather than a PSC.

  • If a Relevant Legal Entity (RLE) has significant control over a company’s affairs, the directors need to disclose that entity’s name and address, legal form and governing law, and how it has control over the company’s affairs.
  • If an Other Registrable Person (ORP), such as a government department, has significant control over a company’s affairs, the directors need to disclose that person’s name and address, legal form and governing law, and how it has control over the company’s affairs.

You must tell Companies House your company’s business activity

From 30th June onwards, you will have to provide at least one Standard Industry Classification (SIC) code to explain what business activity the new company will be carrying out. If the company will have more than one business activity, you must give a SIC code for each activity (you can provide a total of up to four SIC codes per company). If you can’t determine an appropriate SIC code, you must provide a written description of the company’s business activity.

Prior to 30th June 2016 directors did not have to tell Companies House what a new company would be doing and did not have to give an SIC code until they filed the company’s first annual return (which is set to be replaced by a new document called the confirmation statement on 30th June).

All of this means that if you are intending to form a limited company, you will have to give Companies House extra information if you form that company after 30th June. These changes won’t affect sole traders or partnerships, neither of which are required to register at Companies House.

Related Articles

Want more inspiration and business tips?

Join our mailing list to receive helpful tips and guides, news and offers

Thanks, you're subscribed!

Keep an eye on your inbox for helpful tips, guides, news and offers from FreeAgent. In the meantime, find out how FreeAgent can simplify your business accounts.

We are committed to keeping your information safe. Read our Privacy Policy to find out more.

Got questions? Ask Emily!