File your VAT return online
When you’re registered for VAT, you need to file returns regularly (usually quarterly) with HMRC, nearly always online. Here’s how to file a return to HMRC directly from within your FreeAgent account.
1 Preparing to file
First of all, you’ll need to make sure you’re registered with HMRC to file VAT returns online.
To begin the filing process, navigate to Taxes>VAT and select ‘File online with HMRC’. Don’t worry, you will have the opportunity to review your figures before submitting your VAT return!
Spend some time checking the figures on your FreeAgent VAT return, and work through the following checklist, as seen on the filing page:
- Are your VAT registration and first VAT return dates correct?
- Have you chosen invoice or cash accounting as appropriate for this VAT return?
- Is your VAT flat rate scheme setting right? Remember this should be ‘Not on the Flat Rate Scheme’ unless you’ve been accepted by HMRC to join the scheme
- Have you entered and explained all your bank transactions that fall within this VAT return period?
- Have you included any transactions bought or sold outside the UK correctly?
- Have you included and sent, or marked as sent, all your invoices that fall within this VAT return period?
- Have you entered all your out-of-pocket expenses for the VAT return period?
Amend any mistakes you come across and double-check your figures to make sure everything is correct before you file.
2 Filing your VAT return
Enter your Government Gateway ID and password. HMRC will have provided you with an ID shortly after you registered to file your VAT returns online. You will also have been prompted to choose a password of between eight and twelve characters when you registered.
Once you have entered your Government Gateway ID and password, select ‘Submit VAT Return’.
That's it, you're done!
FreeAgent will now submit your return to HMRC, and will tell you within a few seconds whether it was accepted or rejected.
If your VAT return is rejected
If your VAT return is rejected, you will see the error message from HMRC in your FreeAgent account, and you’ll need to take action depending on what this error message says.
If you discover a mistake later
Once you’ve filed a return with HMRC, you can’t change it. Don’t worry unduly though, as FreeAgent does let you put corrections into your next VAT return. Find out how to make corrections in a VAT locked period.
Did you find this article useful?
We're glad to hear that!
...and thanks for taking the time to feed back, it's appreciated.
We’re sorry to hear that. Would you like to...
Contact our support team
Our friendly, experienced support team are on hand to help - just email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Send us some feedback...
We'd love to hear your feedback about this article - please email details to email@example.com
Thanks for your feedback!
If you still need some help please contact our support team.