What is the Government Gateway?
Definition of a Government Gateway
The Government Gateway was the system used to register for the UK government’s online services, including the HMRC portal for Self Assessment. In March 2019, the Government Gateway was decommissioned and digital services were migrated to replacement systems.
Prior to closing down, you could access the following services through the Government Gateway:
- Department of Agriculture
- Department for Environment
- Department for Infrastructure (Northern Ireland) services
- DVLA services Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency services
- Environment and Rural Affairs services
- Food and Rural Affairs (services
- HMRC services
- Ministry of Justice services
- NHS services
- Welsh Government services
Frequently Asked Questions
What do I do if I’ve forgotten or lost my Government Gateway login details?
Depending on the service you need, there are a variety of replacement systems. Gov.uk provides a full list of alternatives.
Technically, no. Instead you’ll log into HMRC’s replacement system, HMRC online services, but you will still use your Government Gateway user ID to log into your online account and access the same information.
If you need to log in to HMRC services, you will have the option to recover or reset your user ID and password.
What should I use instead of the Government Gateway for other online services?
Got questions? Ask Emily!
FreeAgent's Chief Accountant Emily Coltman is available to answer your questions in the comments.