Emily Coltman

About the author: Emily Coltman, FCA is the chief accountant for FreeAgent, who make online accounting software for small businesses and freelancers.

How can you pay your tax bill?

More information

You can find out more about the various ways you can pay your tax bill on the HMRC website.


Hi, I'm Emily Coltman, chief accountant to FreeAgent where we make online accounting software for small businesses.

So, how can you pay your Self Assessment tax bill? Remember that filing and paying are two separate processes, filing your tax return on time does not mean you've paid your bill, you've still got to put your hand in your back pocket.

We've included below a link to the page from HMRC that tells you exactly how you can pay, so you can pay by credit card or debit card. You can send your money via an online bank transfer, you can send a cheque in the post if you want to, but you need to make sure that the money gets to HMRC in plenty of time. Remember the payment deadlines are the 31st of January or the 31st of July if you're making a payment on account.

So, make sure that that money's actually cleared into HMRC's bank account by the due date.

If the date falls at the weekend, make sure that they've got the money cleared in before the weekend.

If you'd like more information about how FreeAgent can help you to file your tax return, please do click the link above the video.

Thanks for watching and we'll see you in the next clip.

Got questions? Ask Emily!