Beat the Self Assessment deadline! Download your free Self Assessment guide to get your tax return sorted early
Get your free Self Assessment Guide and Checklist
In this free guide, FreeAgent's Chief Accountant, Emily Coltman FCA, talks you through the Self Assessment process step by step, from registration right through to filing.
Enter your email address to get your free guide and receive bookkeeping tips and updates from FreeAgent.
Self Assessment guides
Do you wait until the deadline is looming before filing your tax return to HMRC. You could be missing out on the benefits of filing with time to spare.
When you're running a business, do you have to keep paper copies of all your receipts, or will HMRC accept scanned copies?
Make sure you avoid these common mistakes when filing your tax return!
Are you falling into one of these tax traps?
Discover the meaning of the key terms you'll come across when filling in and filing your Self Assessment tax return.
Don't panic! You can still file your return - here's what you need to know.
Find out what HMRC considers to be 'reasonable' when it comes to missing the tax return deadline.
What could you do between now and the end of the tax year to make the most of it?
Self Assessment filing in FreeAgent
Check out this short how-to video to find out how to file your Self Assessment tax return directly to HMRC through FreeAgent.
Online tax return deadline
Midnight 31 Jan 2017
Tax year to file for
6 April 2015 to 5 April 2016
Final payment of any tax due
Midnight 31 Jan 2017 How to pay→
Penalty for late filing
£100 if you file up to 3 months late
Self Assessment video series
- What is Self Assessment?
- Who needs to file a tax return?
- How do you register for Self Assessment?
- What counts as income?
- What are payments on account?
- What expenses can you claim?
- What dates does Self Assessment cover?
- What are the different forms?
- When is the Self Assessment deadline?
- How do you file your tax return?
- Are there any benefits for filing early?
- How do you pay your tax bill?
- Can you change your return once it's filed?
- How long does it take to get a tax refund?
- What are the most common tax return mistakes?
- How can FreeAgent help with Self Assessment?
Self Assessment, sorted
Find out how much you owe and then submit directly to HMRC.Take a tour of Self Asessment in FreeAgent