Emily Coltman

About the author: Emily Coltman, FCA is the chief accountant for FreeAgent, who make online accounting software for small businesses and freelancers.

How FreeAgent can help with your Self Assessment?

More information

There are a few exceptions for people who can’t file their tax return directly through FreeAgent, as the supplementary pages they are required to fill out aren’t supported by the software.

Exceptions include:

  • those who rent out a property
  • those who have foreign income amounting to over £3,000 a year
  • those who receive income from a trust
  • ministers of religion


Hi, I'm Emily Coltman, chief accountant to FreeAgent where we make online accounting software for small businesses.

So, how can FreeAgent help you to do your Self Assessment? Well if you're a sole trader or the director of a limited company, you'll be able to use FreeAgent to prepare your tax return and file it online to HMRC.

If you're a sole trader then FreeAgent uses the data that you put in – your bookkeeping data, your invoices, your expenses, your bank transactions and so forth – FreeAgent uses that to populate 90% of the boxes on the self employment section of your tax return.

If you are the director of a limited company and you've been using FreeAgent to run your payroll, then FreeAgent will pull your salary out from the payroll and pop it onto the employment pages of your Self Assessment. It will also put in any dividends you've received or are due from the company during the tax year. Then you'll have lots of boxes to spare to fill in the rest of your information like bank interest, or donations to charity.

There are a few exceptions to who can file their tax returns through FreeAgent and you'll find those under the video.

If you'd like more information about how FreeAgent can help you do your tax return, there's a link above the video.

Thanks very much for watching, and we'll see you in the next clip.

Disclaimer: The content included in this guide is based on our understanding of tax law at the time of publication. It may be subject to change and may not be applicable to your circumstances, so should not be relied upon. You are responsible for complying with tax law and should seek independent advice if you require further information about the content included in this guide. If you don't have an accountant, take a look at our directory to find a FreeAgent Practice Partner based in your local area.