Emily Coltman

About the author: Emily Coltman, FCA is the chief accountant for FreeAgent, who make online accounting software for small businesses and freelancers.

How do you register for Self Assessment?


Hi, I'm Emily Coltman, I'm chief accountant to FreeAgent where we make online accounting software for small businesses.

So, how do you register for Self Assessment?

How do you tell HMRC, the taxman, that they should expect from you a tax return?

What you need to do, is you need to go online and go to HMRC.gov.uk, click the link that says 'Self Assessment' and then click the link that says Register for Self Assessment.

That will register you for Self Assessment which means that the Revenue know to expect a tax return from you.

FreeAgent can help you to fill in your tax return and submit it to HMRC, click the link above this video for a bit more information about that.

Thanks for watching and we'll see you in the next clip.

Disclaimer: The content included in this guide is based on our understanding of tax law at the time of publication. It may be subject to change and may not be applicable to your circumstances, so should not be relied upon. You are responsible for complying with tax law and should seek independent advice if you require further information about the content included in this guide. If you don't have an accountant, take a look at our directory to find a FreeAgent Practice Partner based in your local area.