How to get hold of your SA302 form

If you’re self-employed, you might be asked to provide an SA302 form as evidence of your income in certain situations, such as applying for a mortgage. In this article, we explain what an SA302 form is and how to get yours from HMRC.

What is an SA302 form?

An SA302 form shows your tax breakdown and evidence of earnings based on your most recent Self Assessment tax return. The form is often commonly referred to as a ‘tax calculation’ and is made up of two parts: the ‘tax calculation’ and an additional ‘tax overview’.

When would you need an SA302 form?

If you’re applying for a mortgage or a business or personal loan, the lender will need to see proof of your income in order to be sure that you can afford the repayments. 

Applicants who are in full-time employment can usually provide evidence of their income using the payslips and P60 forms they receive under the PAYE system.

However, if you’re self-employed and your income falls outside PAYE, a lender will usually need to see your SA302 form in order to get an accurate overview of your income.

You can find out more in our guide to how to get a mortgage when you’re self-employed.

How to get your SA302 form from HMRC

You can access your SA302 tax calculation in your HMRC online account. You can only get a tax calculation for the last four tax years for which you’ve filed a Self Assessment. When you’re filing your tax return, it’s also worth noting that it can take at least 72 hours for your most up-to-date SA302 documents to become available. 

To print out your SA302 from HMRC, follow these steps:

  1. Log in to your HMRC online account
  2. Go to 'Self Assessment'
  3. Go to 'More Self Assessment Details'
  4. Choose 'Get your SA302 tax calculation'
  5. Select the option to print your tax calculation and tax overview

Getting your tax breakdown in FreeAgent

If you’re a FreeAgent user and have submitted your tax return using the software, you can print the ‘Your Tax Breakdown’ page directly from the Self Assessment section of your account. This page serves as an equivalent of the SA302, and most mortgage lenders will accept it in place of the official documents.

If your mortgage provider will not accept this document printed from FreeAgent, you'll need to request a paper copy of your SA302 from HMRC.

Self Assessment filing with FreeAgent

FreeAgent users can file their Self Assessment tax return directly to HMRC and get a detailed tax breakdown within their account. Try a 30-day free trial of FreeAgent to see for yourself.

Related Articles