What is the SA302?

Definition of the SA302

The SA302 is a form that shows an individual’s or business’s tax breakdown and evidences earnings based on an their latest Self Assessment tax return. It can be used to prove earnings for the last four years.

What are SA302 forms used for?

You can use your SA302 if you’re self-employed and need to provide evidence of income, for example, if you’re applying for a mortgage as a sole trader.

How to get your SA302 from HMRC

To get your SA302 from HMRC, you need to:

  • log in to your HMRC online account
  • go to “Self Assessment”
  • go to “More Self Assessment Details”
  • click on “Get your SA302 tax calculation”
  • click the option to print your tax calculation

How to get your tax breakdown from FreeAgent

If you’ve submitted your tax return through commercial software, like FreeAgent, you’can use the equivalent form from the software to evidence your earnings. In FreeAgent the “Your Tax Breakdown” page in the Self Assessment section is the equivalent of the official SA302 form.

Example SA302 form in FreeAgent

Most mortgage lenders accept tax breakdown information from FreeAgent in place of the official form.

Got questions?

Bookkeeping and tax tips

We are committed to keeping your information safe. Read our Privacy Policy to find out more.

Are you an accountant or bookkeeper?

Find out more about FreeAgent for your practice.