Emily Coltman

About the author: Emily Coltman, FCA is the chief accountant for FreeAgent, who make online accounting software for small businesses and freelancers.

How can you file your tax return?


Hi, I'm Emily Coltman chief accountant to FreeAgent where we make online accounting software for small businesses.

So, how do you file your tax return?

Well there are three different ways you can do it: you can file it on paper, by sending a paper form; you can log on to HMRC's own online portal and file it online or use third party software like FreeAgent to file it online; or the third way is you can ask your accountant to file it on your behalf.

If you file a paper form, then you must do that by the 31st of October after the end of the tax year. Either of the other two methods, you've got a bit longer, you've got until the 31st of January after the end of the tax year.

If you'd like more information about how to file your tax return through FreeAgent, click the link at the top of the video.

Thanks for watching, and we'll see you in the next clip.

Disclaimer: The content included in this guide is based on our understanding of tax law at the time of publication. It may be subject to change and may not be applicable to your circumstances, so should not be relied upon. You are responsible for complying with tax law and should seek independent advice if you require further information about the content included in this guide. If you don't have an accountant, take a look at our directory to find a FreeAgent Practice Partner based in your local area.